Crushing the Thanksgiving spirit.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crushing the Thanksgiving spirit.

From Awkward Anti-Theist Guy's Facebook:
"Thanksgiving dinner was great, love my Mom for cooking it. My Mom wanted me to pretend and bow my head when my grandpa said grace over the food. NOPE! Kept my head up and started eating. You might think it's rude, but expecting me to do something I don't believe in is the real rude part."

While I can understand that this guy does not believe in God, I find this exceptionally rude. Thanksgiving should not be about petty disputes over God and/or who believes what, but about family. A grace needn't be interpreted as bowing down to any sort of God, just like a moment of silence isn't specifically for prayer. I think this guy could put his head down for one moment and think about what he's thankful for without thinking about what his grandfather is saying. In my opinion, it is a symbolic gesture of thanks. Everybody has a right to individual beliefs, and I wish this guy could see what really matters in his life.

Thoughts on the matter? Do you think this was rude or not rude? I'm quite curious. I'm quite tempted to call this guy out on Facebook but I don't think it would end well at all.

Also -- this guy says stuff like this ALL THE TIME and yet hangs out in the Interfaith Centre on campus. What the fuck, man?
strangerthanfiction
Super Special Awesome Person!!!!
Super Special Awesome Person!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down