To Column or not to Column?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To Column or not to Column?

First of all, I'm certain I won't row, so columning would be my only option if I wanted to have any sort of chart/table/matrix verbiage in my life.

And now for the coherent part of the blog:
Last year with the Breeze I went from 'Guest Columnist' to 'Contributing Columnist', which is what I am now. The title just means I've contributed more, I still don't get paid or have any responsibilities. Above that is 'Staff Writer', which gets $5 per article and has more restrictions on writing (need to get drafts in earlier, discuss topic ideas, etc.) but no quota for writing. Then there's just 'Senior Columnist', which is where you get $10 per article, have your picture next to all of your work, and have to write with some pre-determined frequency (I believe twice a month minimum), as well as all the other responsibilities of a Staff Writer.

Now, I had planned to apply to be a Staff Writer as soon as I worked up the energy to fill out the application and set up a meeting to discuss it. However, they've had a lot of trouble getting columns this year (we've been re-printing Washington Post stuff to fill space), and today I got an email from the editor saying I could become a Senior Columnist if I wanted to, after a little interview with them to make sure I understand the responsibilities and all that.

I've been busier than ever this semester and oftentimes I struggle coming up with topics to write about (this year I wrote a mediocre Constitution day piece and a half-decent piece on Rick Sanchez's firing) so I really wasn't expecting to take any position that had quotas for contributions. But, it is an awesome opportunity, especially for a sophomore, and while I don't know the actual numbers, if I held that position for the remainder of my time here I might be able to set some records haha.

So I'm asking your advice on what I should do.

And also, as a senior columnist you need a little phrase next to your name for your columns, typically a pun on the writer's name but I don't think that'll work for me. If you have any ideas, I'd welcome them. Titling is the worst phase of my writing, and I don't think they'd accept 'No Goal' which is my fallback title for anything I'm doing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down