An Update

Go down

20100723

Post 

An Update




As some of you may have noticed I have not given details regarding my trip to Buffalo. That is because I am afraid it simply cannot occur. Last week Tuesday my dog, Leo, entered the emergency vet hospital with a case of bloat. Bloat is the expansion of gases in the stomach that enlarge and twist the stomach putting pressure on the surrounding organs and cutting off circulation. Leo was successfully de-bloated and we decided that we would seek a non-invasive surgery (no cutting him open) to tack the stomach to the abdominal cavity and prevent future bloat incidents. The surgery was to take place this week's Tuesday since Leo had to be on antibiotics to assure no necrosis (dead tissue) was created when circulation was cut off. On Friday Leo had another incident of bloat and non-invasive surgery was deemed impossible. That evening he had invasive surgery to tack the stomach to the abdominal cavity. The procedure went successfully and necrosis was found anywhere. Leo spent Saturday at the hospital and was to return Sunday, but a non-volvulus (no twisting) case of bloat occurred and delayed his return home. Finally on Monday afternoon he was home, but he began to act sick that evening and as a precaution was taken into the hospital again. Luckily it was to some extent a false alarm and Leo was simply not feeling well post-surgery, but when the radiologist looked at the x-rays it was discovered that his intestines were out of place and his spleen appeared damaged. In addition his liver enzyme count was high and so Leo spent 12 hours at his normal vets and 12 hours at home on Tuesday and Wednesday in order to get fluids. Yesterday it was determined that unless a second surgery to move the intestines and remove the spleen occurred, Leo would die. His chances of survival during the procedure was 50-50, but Leo survived and the surgery was a partial success. The spleen was indeed removed and the intestines were moved back into place, but a spot was discovered in the pancreas, the intestines, and a tumor was found in the liver. All of these growths were impossible to remove. They are currently being biopsied and are believed to be benign. Currently Leo is recovering at the emergency vet and remains in serious condition. With his situation as it is I simply feel it would be a bad time for me to leave. I hope you understand my predicament and I apologize for not being able to make the trip up to Buffalo.

As always,
Drew
avatar
The Prez

Posts : 1818
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 27
Location : Pewaukee, Wisconsin or Champaign, Illinois

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/DamnCrappyProduction

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

An Update :: Comments

avatar

Post on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:37 am by The Prez

To keep you further updated: Leo passed away early this morning. He was 10 and 7 months to the day.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 pm by AgentW

Sad


how's buddy?

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 am by The Prez

Buddy is doing much better. He is eating fine and while he was a bit nervous going to his Grandma's for the first time without Leo, he now seems to be enjoying himself as normal. Leo was the alpha dog so to some extent I suppose Buddy is getting used to being in control.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum