PLAYOFFS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PLAYOFFS

So I foolishly started a topic in the sports section, but I remember now that we don't really use that section.

Instead, I ask for your round one predictions in this conveniently closer-to-the-top-of-your-browser-than-the-hockey-section version!

The match-ups are set, and it's...

EAST
(1) Washington Capitals (54-15-13) vs. (8 ) Montreal Canadiens (39-33-10) Season: Even
(2) New Jersey Devils (48-27-7) vs. (7) Philadelphia Flyers (41-35-6) Season: Philadelphia 5-1
(3) Buffalo Sabres (45-27-10) vs. (6) Boston Bruins (39-30-13) Season: Boston 4-2
(4) Pittsburgh Penguins (46-28-7) vs. (5) Ottawa Senators (44-32-6) Season: Even

WEST
(1) San Jose Sharks (51-20-11) vs. (8 ) Colorado Avalanche (43-30-9) Season: Even
(2) Chicago Blackhawks (52-22-8 ) vs. (7) Nashville Predators (47-29-6) Season: Chicago 4-2
(3) Vancouver Canucks (49-28-5) vs. (6) Los Angeles Kings (46-27-9) Season: Vancouver 3-1
(4) Phoenix Coyotes (50-25-7) vs. (5) Detroit Red Wings (44-24-14) Season: Even

Note: I only counted up the season series in terms of wins/losses. No distinction was made between regulation, overtime, or shootout wins.
Note: Despite being division opponents, Chicago and Nashville haven't played each other since December of 2009.
Note: The most recent Canucks/Kings game (April 1st) was a decisive 8-3 victory for the Kings. April Fool's Joke or legit series?

My picks (and superfluous explanations of why they are my picks):
Capitals in 5
Devils in 7
Sabres in 6
Senators in 6

Sharks in 7
Blackhawks in 5
Kings in 6
Red Wings in 5

Explanation:

Caps in 5 is a bit of wishful thinking. Theodore going in to Bell Centre is going to be rough, so the Caps need to win their first two home games. If they can manage that (and I think they will), I think they’ll be able to cut through the distractions of Montreal hockey atmosphere, steal a game, and seal it up at home.

Devils in 7, only because I think the Devils are better but Philly has proven they can beat them, decisively (5-1 season series is impressive).

Sabres in 6. Boston made a deal with Satan but the God-fearing Sabres will have Jesus on their side. Miller shuts down a mediocre offense and Rask makes a few rookie mistakes, and Buffalo takes the series.

Sens in 6 because the Penguins aren’t that good. Crosby and Malkin will have to be amazing, Fleury has been average this year and the Senators forwards will be able to get a lot of quality chances. I think Brian Elliot steals a game or two and Ottawa wins it.

Sharks in 7 because they’re chokers, but they are also better than the Aves through and through.

Hawks in 5 because, really, Nashville? Like, Nashville is going to win in the playoffs? No way.

Kings in 6, look at that team. Kopitar is playing better than he ever has before, Doughty, Johnson and Brown were amazing in Olympic play, Smythe and Frolov are proven players, and they have a good goalie and a black guy. Vancouver is good but I thin the Kings are like the 06 Sabres right now and they have could do some serious damage.

Red Wings in 5 because nobody was hotter post-Olympics than Detroit, and they finished 8-1-1. This team has been to two straight Cup finals and they know how to win. Phoenix is a great story, and I’m rooting for them, but I just don’t see them getting the goals they need at the right moments.

Last edited by J-Mads on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

PLAYOFFS :: Comments

Post on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:33 pm by J-Mads

Had to misplace a few parentheses to avoid making Cool

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:39 pm by AgentW

Devils. just because they're my home team.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 am by strangerthanfiction

Caps Devils Sabres Pens (I want to see Ottawa lose lose lose).
Sharks Blackhawks Canucks QUESTION MARK.

It is worth noting that we played members of the University of Ottawa at NAQT Nationals yesterday (!!!!!!!!!!!!) and none of them were Sens fans and they were quite nice and surprisingly they all dislike CBC. Very amusing.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am by J-Mads

Way to pick all the higher seeds, Alex. Haha.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm by The Prez

I am going with the following:
-Washington
-New Jersey
-Buffalo
-Ottawa

-San Jose
-Chicago
-Los Angeles
-?

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:35 pm by strangerthanfiction

Comments re: your comments.

Caps will be strong because they are a strong team. Granted, Montreal might get them down in the Bell Centre, but really, does anybody expect Washington to lose to Montreal? No no no no no.

Devils will probably be able to do it but I feel like they might get a bit cocky with the whole "oh hey we have Brodeur" thing. It's also worth noting I got a Devils question right at Nationals!

Major lolz re: Satan comment. I don't think this series will be cut-and-dry and the Sabres will have to work for it, but they play hard when it comes down to it.

I hope to God Snottawa loses to the Pengtown Boys (lol WHAT was that, Alex?) Pittsburgh is a good team (I think they rely too heavily on the big names but they're solid) and, while prone to choking, may have the motivation of, "Oh, we did this last year, LET'S DEFEND IT."

San Jose always chokes and they're impressive but I always feel bad for them because they never win.

I saw Nashville play live (!!!!!) versus the Sabres and they sucked. I mean, their goalie kept everything out until five minutes before the end, but they hardly got any rushes against Miller or anything. If they beat Chi-town I will weep emo tears of blood.

Canucks/Kings will be close. Vancouver will probably be in the post Olympic euphoria so the atmosphere/pressure for the Canucks will be intense. Kings might be able to crack it, but it really depends.

Dee-troit might get it, but they've been so up and down all season. Phoenix has a great comeback story, but will they be able to get over the whole, "Omg this is Detroit omg they have experience omg omg omg STARSTRUKK" (and yes I did sort of just make a 3OH!3 reference there which I'm pretty ashamed of). This one is very up in the air.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm by J-Mads

I don't think this Devils team is very Brodeur-centric, with forwards like Parise and Zajac, and even Kovalchuk and Elias, this is a team that can really score. If they had tied or won the season series I might've picked a sweep for them, but apparently Philly knows their weakness.

The Pensens is certainly interesting, I just want it to go to 7. And honestly I don't think Ottawa has any chance at a Cup so if they knock off Pittsburgh I'll be pretty happy. I hate teams that win the conference 3 years in a row, Pens need to take a year off.

I don't know 303 so I didn't catch the reference (or spell their 'name' right), but you really think Phoenix can handle Detroit? I just don't see it happening. Red Wings weren't that up and down, just down for the first 40 and up for the last 25-30. They had a lot of injuries early on and looked old, but now they look determined and very sharp. Again, hoping for the Coyotes but not buying it.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:15 pm by J-Mads

Lol-Casey. I was wrong on that one too.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:47 pm by dohnage18

You don't have a series right yet!

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:27 pm by J-Mads

I had the Sharks! It went to 6, not 7, but still I had San Jose correct. But yes, I am 1-3. But when the Caps and Sabres win I'll be 3-3, just with terrible series length predictions.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 am by strangerthanfiction

:'(

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:12 pm by dohnage18

And you're 2-4....

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 pm by The Prez

Dohn. STFU

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 pm by dohnage18

Yikes, 3-5.....

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 pm by The Prez

Dohn, you have basically given us all a paper cut and gotten out the salt. STOP TALKING!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum