Preparation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preparation

This is a "boo hoo my life" post. You've been warned.

I don't mean to complain, but my break felt very short. I was doing things pretty much all the time and didn't really get to relax as much as I would have liked. I certainly didn't get to organize and rejuvenate for another half of a semester's worth of work, which I believe is the point of breaks. But more than that, I am currently filled with worrisome depression as I consider that when I arrive back at JMU on Sunday, I might become depressed and worried. Heller styled paradoxes aside, the day I returned to JMU for second semester was my worst day of 2010. I felt alone, cold, sad, and faced a mountain of time and effort before I could again return home. Now the amount of time until I can come back home will again be 8 weeks, one might hope that it should be a bit warmer and brighter but it still is lonely and dirty.

I really do like JMU. But it does not compare to home. I think I like my home more than just about anyone else likes their own. I never said "I can't wait for college" or expressed any sort of contempt for the concept of high school, even if I did complain about some of its components. But the fact of the matter was that I could have easily gone to East for another year, maybe more, because I like being home.

On the flip side, I chose to be away from home for a reason. I'm better when I'm not at home. At home I eat too much, watch too much TV, slack off on work, and never really do anything. It's incredibly comfortable and I'm happy there, but I'm not productive.

Which should I strive for? I think of happiness as a life goal, which I philosophically admit is silly, but still it is attainable and a reason for life ("because god said so" just didn't cut it for me). But to be unproductive, lazy, and stagnant seems to be bad and certainly closes doors. At JMU I have more opportunities, some of which I've seized and I'm better at what I do because of it. But I am not as comfortable or as content.

In a week's time I will be thrilled to be at JMU, but right now I dread returning. I don't want to go back, I don't want to go back, I don't want to go back. And I'm scared that Sunday might be my worst day of the year.

View user profile

Back to top Go down