Olympics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olympics

First of all, if you ever need to check the medal count, it's right where you'd expect it to be: http://www.vancouver2010.com/

Clicking on the medal counts will tell you who won, and which event. Pretty handy stuff.

Now, some early Olympic thoughts:

- My god women's hockey needs a mercy rule. Did I really watch Canada beat Slovakia 18-0? Yes, yes I did. Of course, there were better things on so I didn't have to keep a close eye but this was a kill by the end of the first period. Can't we stop the game when one team leads by 10? I don't want to vilify Canada for running up the score, but an event like that hardly seems to fit the spirit of the world coming together for friendly competition.

- That 1,500 m speed skating was crazy. Really intense early runs, and then when Korea seemed to have the medal sweep, a collision allowed Americans to pick up silver and bronze. Congrats to Apolo Anton Ohno and JR Celski.

- First gold! Woohoo! Freestyle is not an event that I like that much and not one that to me is what the Olympics are about, but a gold is a gold.

- Men's biathlon had terrible weather today, more missed shots than I've ever seen before (and yes, I've watched World Cup Biathlon on CBC in years past). It was interesting, but no Americans in serious contention.

- I don't have classes this Tuesday so I can watch USA men's hockey vs. Switzerland, who shouldn't be underestimated. US hockey is a touchy subject for me most of the time. Look at the roster that won the 96 World Cup and tell me you don't hate half of those guys. Chris Chelios, Derian Hatcher, John LeClair, Mike Modano, Bryan Smolinski, Brett Hull... ugh. Then in 98 there was the 'ugly Americans' incident where the team played poorly and trashed their hotel room. 2002 brought a silver medal, but again a roster with Chelios, Modano, Hull, and that year Jeremy Roenick is hard to root for. The 2006 team was way too old, didn't care, and picking DiPietro over Miller was a mistake. So I have never really rooted for an American hockey team besides Juniors, until 2010. I like this roster, it's a bold choice, young players, and I really am looking forward to how they perform. Canadians have blasted the roster choices and a few sportswriters even said the Parise was the only American who could make the Canadian team. That arrogance from our neighbors to the north will be fun to crush - but are we good enough? I don't know. We play them next Sunday.

- NBC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Olympics :: Comments

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:35 pm by AgentW

America is winning! And the russians are hardly on the list!

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:47 pm by J-Mads

Yes, I think we're probably going to win the Cold War after all.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:14 pm by AgentW

I sure hope we win it. Then we can finally move on to the next threat. Venezuela. whom we happen to be beating also.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:52 pm by strangerthanfiction

NBC totally sucks. I was so upset that they showed the death of Nodar like five million times with absolutely no warning. Also, totally disrespectful to his family.

And I really like Apolo Anton Ohno because he's so chill. I like him so much better than Michael Phelps because I feel like he's more down-to-Earth. I respect what Phelps did with his sport, but I was never rooting for him. There's something I can't put my finger on that I don't like about him. It's like he's always "OMG MICHAEL PHELPS!!1!1" whereas AAO I can see, like, walking down the street and being a normal person. Did that make any sense?

Also: did you see the men's 5k Nordic cross-country skiing today? Like with that crazy finish by the French guy? That was pretty amazing.

One last note: when it comes down to it, I'm rooting for Team Canada over Team USA. This includes hockey. I love Ryan Miller and I appreciate the fact that he's a goalie for Team America, but... I'm Canada alllll the way. lol

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:21 pm by J-Mads

Yeah I know what you mean about Phelps/Ohno, although I'd just say that it's a result of the Summer olympics versus Winter. Summer is way more popular and profitable, and while Phelps does sort of look like a frat boy he's never come off as self-obsessed. His reaction to the relay race that beat France is one of the greatest Olympic images of my lifetime. Ohno does seem more down to Earth, but he's a speed skater, and when he walks down the street, who's even going to recognize him?

I didn't see the Nordic sadly :/ but I heard about it.

You're rooting for Canada?! In hockey, I can't really complain since this is the first year that my heart is truly with the Americans. But Canadians, while being nice people, have such an arrogance when it comes to hockey that I can't tolerate it. They expect their NHL teams to always be better than their American opponents, expect their Juniors to always win gold, and expect to dominate the Olympics. Beating the Canadians in hockey is really fun because of that. And just like Juniors this year, I think Team USA might pull off an upset.

All other sports, while I'm American first, I'm Canadian second unless there's a country with only one or two athletes competing. I like the underdog stories.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:46 pm by dohnage18

The one Korean in the 1,500 m now is a permanent member of the Fucking Idiot Club. What was he doing?

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:48 pm by J-Mads

Yeah they tarded up a storm at the end there.

America now has 8 medals, and got its second gold today! Woohoo! Seth Wescott won the snowboard cross, an event that's only been in Torino and Vancouver - he's won both. So well done, America! We've got double the amount of medals as second place has for the moment.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm by McSnuggles

I thought this Tuesday was USA v. Russia in hockey.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 pm by AgentW

so women's hockey is pretty painful. America vs China anyone? not as much as the canadian game, but still off and away.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:57 pm by J-Mads

Women's hockey is US v. Russia tomorrow. Men's is US v. Switzerland. And yeah women's hockey is pathetic. There are only 3 or 4 countries with remotely competent teams.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm by dohnage18

It's the US and Canada for the women. Even the Russians aren't that good. There's a lot more parity on the men's side.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:39 pm by AgentW

did you see the biathalon? you should watch this clip of it

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:25 pm by dohnage18

I have. It's quite an event.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:07 pm by J-Mads

Did you guys see ROFL-Canada need a shootout (and 2 Crosby attempts) to beat Switzerland? I thought that was a great game. Russia losing to the Slovaks was a surprise to, Russia's high octane offense hasn't really impressed yet. USA is up to 20 medals now! And 6 of them gold! Good times.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:58 pm by J-Mads

RYAN MILLER!!!! TEAM USA!!!! That was amazing! Welcome to the quarterfinals, guys.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:01 am by AgentW

I think we have the gold

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm by dohnage18

1998 Nagano Ice Hockey Semifinal. Hasek dominates.

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:51 pm by AgentW

some speed racing event. the kid was so far ahead, he lapped his pair, but he forgot to change lanes or something and lost the gold. What a way to lose

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum