"With all due deference to the separation of powers..."

Go down

"With all due deference to the separation of powers..."

I knew it was going to happen. Everyone said it was in the speech, but I hoped so much that it would get the axe. Obama, in a speech that I thought was how a state of the union should be with nice and interesting plans I hope, to varying degrees, work out (minus the fact that it was so obvious he switched speechwriters midway through its writing), but then he blew it. He crossed a line. He told the Supreme Court of the United States that they made a horrible decision. Mind you, that part of the speech, opinion wise, I basically agree with him on, but when he said it and Congress clapped enthusiastically, and Schumer gloated at the court, I just got pissed off. It had nothing to do with the decision, it had nothing to do with political leanings, it was the fact that Obama took a swipe at the court that was uncalled for, unnecessary, and plain out rude.

The Supreme Court sits through that entire speech without clapping, without taking sides for anyone. They don't throw punches at the Legislature or the President, they often go through horrendously difficult confirmation hearings, and yet with all the casework to back up their decision, with opinions based on judicial philosophy, Obama, a constitutional lawyer who should know better, tells the court they were wrong and he is going to screw over their decision with a new bill. "John Roberts has made his decision, now let him defend it" ANYONE? Total lack of disrespect. Chuck Schumer, you know better stop being an asshole and go back to being the people's senator you were before you got a leadership position. So yeah... I am genuinely pissed off that that portion of the speech was even there. I might not agree with the decision and so did the four dissenting Justices, but I bet you anything that when Obama spoke on the Supreme Court, ALL NINE Justices felt insulted that their legal decision was ruthlessly attacked (yes, Justice O'Connor publicly disagreed with the decision, but she has her own case law to back that up with and it was a judicial argument she made, not a policy one).

Not all the justices; however, handled themselves with as much prestige and respect, Justice Alito went way too far by mouthing "that's not true". One part of me wishes it was another Joe Wilson style outburst so that Alito could finally leave the court (or so that Obama could reply "Search your feelings, you know it to be true"), but alas, now it will only remain a visual sign of displeasure with Obama's serious lack of respect for the third branch of government. My deepest sympathies go out to our HARD WORKING JUSTICES who in recent years have simply not been getting the respect they deserve. Please, if anything, stop the partisan nature of the nomination hearings, and the false belief that the Supreme Court is always partisan (a misconception dating from the partisan decision in Bush v. Gore).

As someone who respects the court as the one of the greatest institutions of government in the United States I hope for a time when the government will finally end partisanship and hold respect for the style of government that our founders chose, but perhaps pigs must first learn to fly.

Last edited by The Prez on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Prez

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/DamnCrappyProduction

Back to top Go down