Year of tha Boomerang

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Year of tha Boomerang

I guess 2009 was a really good year. I'm hesitant to look back on it too much because my knee jerk reaction is that it was pretty awesome, and analyzation would likely bring up some grimy moments that needn't be revisited. Alas, everyone else is blogging about it, so I will too.

I'll forego the stuff about which products of culture and art thrilled me this year, and instead just talk about me, because my opinions on things like which movies were the best of 2009 (Coraline, Star Trek, Up, The Hangover, District 9) aren't especially informed or unique.

So, about me. I finished up 13 years of public schooling, so that I could finally go to school some more, someplace else. JMU was visited, decided upon, and then gone to for a semester. 2009 is probably going to be the Year of JMU for me, no other part of my life was as important, new, or exciting as going off to college there. I'd recommend college to most of you, you guys not there right now should look into it. But there are things about high school that you can't do in college, for better and worse. I do get a little sad that my friendship with 80% of my "friends" died this year, but the new people I've met is higher than any other year too. I'll miss talking to people that know me without loving or hating me, but overall it was an improvement.

I came into 2009 in love, which was great, and sadly I leave the year without that. 09 was rough in that respect, and I still don't understand anything about that part of life. It makes me feel very unbalanced. I don't know if I'd recommend love or not, I mean, it was at times the absolute best moments of my life and I'm thankful for that, but there were a lot of times that were very far from that. But I'd say the best thing, partially in 08 and in 09, was that it gave me confidence in myself. I hate to be self-loathing in a blog, but I think a lot of us probably walk around thinking too much about ourselves. Most of my life, I felt incapable of normal social relations, had narcissism that made me isolate myself, and had perversions that would make any person cringe. I've hidden many personal thoughts and feelings by telling them to others with a sarcastic tone. But when I was with her (not physically, anytime during that year+ while I was dating her), that all went away enough, and I walked through my life without a constant fear of someone looking to insult me in some way. I loved how open East was, but honestly at times I feared walking through the commons. I really didn't want to be seen. And nothing bad EVER happened, but I couldn't shake that feeling until I fell in love. And so far, the lessons I learned in those times about myself have stuck, which I guess is the important thing to remember. Still, it was weird having things dissolve, especially while planning my life at JMU.

Sorry I rambled on there, but it was hard to vocalize. So the rest of 09 I'll breeze through. I stopped playing saxophone competitively, became a bit more of a politics nut although not like Drew (thank god), broke a couple laws, voted, and spent a lot of time simply trying to relax.

It was fun, I learned something probably, I'll miss some of it but I still firmly believe I can do better.

I'll let myself play you out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8rXSrSSBVI DAMN I was HOT in that tux with the purple!

View user profile

Back to top Go down