Calm Like a Bomb

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Calm Like a Bomb

The bomb threats at East have provoked some strong thoughts and ideas in me, but for a while I wasn't going to comment on it because it is potentially life or death and my life is not on the line. However, as the date drew nearer and Facebook news feeds became filled with comments on the joys of a day off, I am failing to stay quiet about it, because this threat is a real life, close to home example of terrorism, American laziness, lack of priority, and asymmetrical threats. I feel now is a fine time to discuss it because those that made the choice to go have made their choice, and those that have chosen to stay home have made theirs.

Americans have many wonderful protections and opportunities, one of them being the right to an education. Those who are lucky enough to have parents that worked hard and earned a home in the Williamsville district get another set of rights with that education - a good education, a safe education, a place of instruction that respects your rights as a person. Many parts of the country do not have these extra provisions and their later life is a reflection upon that. This bomb threat, presumably made by ONE person out of about a thousand at the school, really is a threat to undo all of those things. They don't see it that way, and those sitting at home today do not see it that way, but what they have done is take away your right to feel safe and secure in school, and take away the administration's ability to trust you as a student body.

Today is therefore an amazing opportunity to prove something to yourself, to your classmates, to your teachers, to your administrators, to your parents, and even though they will never know it, prove something to the entire world. Many will see this day as a free day off, they can have a 3 day weekend and stay up late on Thursday. But that is the choice of laziness - it disrespects the rights we have that others in the world take for granted. For those of you that are avid South Park fans - think of Cartman in Somalia. Don't be the arrogant, idiotic Americans that the world sometimes sees, that perceive ignorance as freedom and mandatory education as a set of chains. Ignorance is your prison, and education is your path to a good life - I won't say that knowledge is virtue, but think of all the places in the world that lack education of our standard today. Now is a great time to honor your freedoms and rights by going to school, proudly.

Those attending school project strength and pride. Going in, being yourself and focusing on your classes while paying no attention to threats shows that you will not be bullied, will not submit to terrorists, and will not exploit the emotion of fear to make your laziness acceptable. Your teachers and administrators will see the value you put into education, and trust you for it. Your classmates will see your dedication, and those with enough sight to be worth your time will respect you for it. Your parents will see they have raised a responsible son or daughter, who can be given the freedom to choose how they spend their day, and you will choose wisely. They will be proud of you. And deep down you will know that after 10 to 13 years of public schooling, your time was well spent, your mind was properly developed, and you are an adult who guides their life the way they want to.

So I hope all of you went to school, not because your parents made you or because you had a test you NEEDED to take, but because you WANTED to go. I'm almost envious of the opportunity.

I'll conclude this with the words that are in my signature, a theme for all the students at or not at East today, a statement of willpower and control over yourself, that says you cannot be controlled, causality is not your master, and terrorism will not work on you.

Because I choose to.

View user profile

Back to top Go down