NCAA or NBA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NCAA or NBA

Post by selgguns.CM on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Which do you prefer watching?

I think NCAA is way better because people actually play defense, but I like watching NBA highlights because some of them are pretty amazing. I can't watch a whole NBA game tho...I just get really frustrated that they score every time and most guys only really play one way.

selgguns.CM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NCAA or NBA

Post by McSnuggles on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:53 pm

NCAA the refs follow the rules.

NBA the refs don't follow the rules (I thought it was six steps for traveling Razz).

However I like NBA more because the players are all a higher caliber. Whenever I watch NCAA I can only really think about how if any of these guys are good I'll see them in a few years when they are playing in the NBA.
McSnuggles
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dohnage18 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:25 pm

I always think to myself, what if they didn't let people into the NBA draft until after their senior years? Not only would people be more NBA ready, but the competition at the NCAA level would be INCREDIBLE. Imagine if Kevin Durant, Tyler Hansbourough (I can't spell his name), Micheal Beasly, OJ Mayo, Donte Greene, Johnny Flynn etc. all played at the same time last year? It would have been fantastic. I love NCAA.

The thing that I get a kick out of is when Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks dunks a ball after picking up his dribble at the 3-point line. It's hilarious how illegal it is.

dohnage18
Super Special Awesome Person!!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by selgguns.CM on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Agreed that they should have to play through the NCAA...At least for 3 years.

selgguns.CM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Mads on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:02 pm

NCAA has become more and more like NBA Jr. to my eyes. I'd rather watch the actual thing than the pretenders kiddie version. NCAA, 10 years ago and before, was almost a different sport than the NBA and was very entertaining, better than watching the pro's. But now it just mimics it. It shouldn't be a 1-5 year training camp for the pro's, it should be its own product.

I'd rather watch the NBA, once you accept that there is no such thing as traveling it's pretty fun, and college ball is nearly unwatchable once you hit the last 5 minutes.

That rule forcing kids to go to college is a bad idea and it should repealed, to give some individual identity back to the college game.
J-Mads

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Prez on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 pm

I was NBA when I lived in Chicago (the Bulls were sort of winning all the time), but when I moved to Ithaca where the closest team was far away I began to like the NCAA better, but Luke (Wachob) is right, it has become NBA, Jr. Personally I believe that NCAA will appeal to me more when there is a team that is actually my schools
The Prez

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/DamnCrappyProduction

Back to top Go down

Post by dohnage18 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:32 pm

I completely disagree with the NBA Jr. comments. You have to dribble inside the 3-point line in the NCAA.

I prefer the NCAA because the teams that win are those with not one star that will jump to the NBA, but a team of guys who are playing for the love of the game and the representation of their school.

dohnage18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Mads on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:09 pm

So you're saying successful NBA players don't like the sport or their city?

The difference in dribbling is almost the only noticeable one, and considering it's an unwritten rule of the NBA, I don't see it as any different than complaining that the shot clock is 6 seconds too short. The NCAA now promotes single-player teams as what to root for (Stephen Curry), dunks as the highlight of the game, defense as barely worth mentioning, and while the big winners are the teams with depth, the big money the sport pulls in comes from stars just like in the NBA. And needing a team more than an individual is an NBA thing too, really, the Lakers are not just Kobe + 4, and the years that they were they weren't champions.
J-Mads

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Prez on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:35 pm

The focus is on the player going to the NBA
The Prez

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/DamnCrappyProduction

Back to top Go down

Post by dohnage18 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm

J-Mads wrote:So you're saying successful NBA players don't like the sport or their city?

No, I'm saying that money is a factor. Why else would Lamar Odom contemplate leaving the Lakers?

J-Mads wrote:defense as barely worth mentioning

Are you joking?

J-Mads wrote:the big money the sport pulls in comes from stars just like in the NBA

So Davidson and Kansas State made off huge on Curry and Beasley? What the...

dohnage18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Mads on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:39 pm

The schools themselves don't see huge profits, but the NCAA does. And money is equally a factor in college. They get full ride scholarships - go ahead and have UNC start telling prospects that they can play on the team but they also have to pay full tuition and room and board. UNC's program will be terrible in a few years. These kids play for the future possibilities of high wages and the free ride through college. The motivation is the same even if the skill is lesser.

And yes, defense is no longer what it was at the college level.
J-Mads

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dohnage18 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

J-Mads wrote:These kids play for the future possibilities of high wages and the free ride through college.

Yes on first, no on second.

And defense is still good, but shooting now is simply better than it used to be.

dohnage18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum